Accommodation, Transport & Financial Assistance

A cancer diagnosis has a significant impact on many aspects of a person’s life. When you are diagnosed, you will have to make several decisions, such as what treatment to have and where your treatment will be. You’ll also have to consider practical matters such as where you will stay if you need to travel for treatment, how you will get there and if the cancer will affect your employment and finances.

Accommodation Assistance

Some links to accomodation facilities they may assist your search:

Transport Assistance

There are transport services available in the region for people who are unable to use public transport.
If you would like to know more about these services, please contact the social worker at your treating hospital or your local medical clinic.
If you need help with your claim, you can contact:
Locked Bag 5270, Parramatta, NSW, 2124
Ph: 1800 478 227
Fax: (02) 8797 6543
The Isolated Patients Travel and Accommodation Assistance Scheme (IPTAAS) assits people in isolated and rural communities to access specialist medical treatment that is not available in their own area. To make a claim, keep your original travel tickets, receipts and invoices.
*To be eligible you must travel at least 100km (one way) for medical treatment, or a cumulative distance 200km in a week from your usual place of residence

If you would like to speak to someone about Transport or Accommodation you can phone:
  • Cancer Helpline on 13 11 20
  • Social Worker at your treating hospital


Legal and Financial Assistance

During the course of your cancer treatment you may have concerns about financial issues, insurance policies, superannuation and legal matters.
The Cancer Council can assist people affected by cancer to access a range of free financial support services
The Department of Human Sevices may also be able to assist
More information on these services is available by contacting the Cancer Council Helpline on 13 11 20 or by visiting the Cancer Council Victoria or Cancer Council NSW websites.
For more information of legal or financial assistance contact:
  • Social Worker at your treating hospital
  • phone Centrelink on 132717 (for enquires about Diability Support Pension, Mobility Allowance, Carer Payment, Carer Allowance and Sickness Allowance)


Share this page: